Love them, hate them, you need to be doing them.
As an old boxing instructor used to say to me, “Never underestimate the power of JUMPING!”
Here are 6 good reasons why!
- They’re a FULL body workout – Unless you’ve been living under a rock then by now you know that full body compound exercises, help you get ripped, build a better body composition and a more balanced shape. Isolation exercises like bicep curls don’t; FYI skinny legs and big arms are not a good look.
- They Burn fat – Because you’re working more muscles (especially your legs) you’ll burn far more calories in less time. Keep the intensity as high as you can for maximum results.
- No equipment required and you can do them anywhere – As the only thing you need is a little space and your body, you can literally do them ANYWHERE. Your hotel room, kitchen or even your office, so there’s no excuse. 100 burpees and you’re set for the day.
- They increase anaerobic capacity & endurance – If you want to increase your endurance and build your stamina fast, then burpees are ideal. They get your heart racing and as you are using all of your muscles you’ll be sucking that air in hard. If you get to the point where you can do 10-15 minutes flat-out, then you’ll be ready for anything.
- Burpees are a great part to any workout – If you’re doing a HIIT workout, circuit session or cardio warm-up to a weight session. Then burpees are the perfect addition.
- You’ll become stronger – As these types of body weight exercises use all of your muscles including all of those little stabilizing muscles, working them will increase your overall body strength and conditioning. A great side affect of a stronger overall body (besides the obvious) is improved resistance to day-to-day injuries. Let’s face it most injuries happen from doing simple tasks around the house, a stronger core and stabilizers can make you less pron.
It will take a while to build up the number of burpees you can do in one go. But these are the types of movements our bodies need to be doing, especially if you spend a lot of time sitting. Its also a great way to start conditioning your body for more advanced training down the line.
They never get easier, you just add more. But if you think they are, add a pushup to increase intensity. That’ll make you hate them all over again! Checkout the burpee in this video.